Name:
Location: Forest Town, California, United States

Many people ask where Helga and I (Vinnie) met. It was at a Jesus Freak festival in the days of my squandered youth. Some brownies were going around that tasted funny and the next thing I know, I'm married to a hippie. But she was cute, and I wouldn't serve a church that hired a divorced pastor, so we are still together till Judgement Day, when I assume we will go our seperate ways. Let me (Helga) add, that it seems the Universe brought Vinnie and I together, who am I to argue. He does have a judgmental nature though, which I find unforgivable.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"Triumph of the Will" (1934)

From Vinnie:

This is a reather interesting film for us to review, because it is a bit of a history lesson. This film was directed by Leni Riefenstahl (a person of German descent, I believe) as a propaganda film for none other than Adolf Hitler. It records the German Fuerer going to rallies, and has him and lots of people speaking about Germany, the Rhine and such, and has plenty of shots of men in formation and Nazi flags and eagle statues.
Now I take a back seat to no one in my abhorance of this fiend who went to battle against God' country, America (at least it was for the first half of the 20th century, till they took prayer out of the schools) and killer of God's chosen people, the Jews.
But they did manage to make a film without any foul langauge (though I am depending on the people that translated the German to the English, so maybe there was cursing and devil worshiping languag that was cleaned up) and not a hint of sexual immorality. In this, Hollywood film makers of today could learn a from this Riefenstahl fellow.
I even learned a thing or two. I had always wondered I was young and unfortunately watched television, what they meant on "Hogan's Heros" when the Germans said "Sieg Heil" (well, it means "Hail Victory").
Still, the film seems to be pretty favorable to Nazism, which although not as bad as Communism, still is very unBiblical. And my keen moral eye noted some idolatry in the film, so I cannot recommend it to any one (except maybe history students with a note from their instructor.) So remember, a good sermon is all the fun you need.

From Helga:

I watched this bit of history with Vinnie at the museum, and was struck by errie parrallels to the present day.

1) Hitler spoke to crowds - George W. Bush speaks to crowds.

2) There were Nazi flags all about during the Nazi rallies - there were American flags everywhere at the Republican conventions.

3) Hitler mentioned God in a speech - Bush mentions God in speeches.

I tell you, it was just uncanny, the list could go on and on.

On hte other hand, Hitler did say the German people should be peace lovers and in one scence, he looks very fondly at a cat. (And I've been told Hitler was a vegatarian.) It does make one wonder whether perhaps Americans were dragged into World War II on lies, just as we were in the current conflict. If FDR had been a Reblican, we could be sure.

I was dissappointed that a film directed by a woman, had so few woman. You can be sure a woman Fureur would never take anyone to war.

I must now get to a PASA meeting, but till later, bioharmony to all! Helga

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home